Dermal Filler Procedure
To begin your treatment, your specialist will ask you what your desired results are, as to determine how much of the gel you will need. With any dermal filler, your healthcare specialist will begin by cleaning the injection site, unless you are receiving a filler that contains lidocaine, a topical anesthetic will also be applied to numb the area and prevent discomfort.
Most dermal filler procedures last between 15 minutes and an hour, depending on how many injections you need. Depending on the treatment you are receiving, you may need to make multiple visits to your healthcare provider for injections.
Dermal Filler Results
Depending on the treatment, results of the dermal filler injections may be seen right away or up to a month later. Dermal fillers can smooth wrinkles and folds, add volume to the cheeks or lips, and make the face look more healthy and youthful. Most dermal fillers require no downtime, but strenuous exercise and sun exposure should be avoided for 24 hours after the injections. Some fillers last for 9 months, but others can last for up to 2 years.
A wide variety of dermal filler treatments are available. Many dermal fillers are specialized for particular areas of the face, such as the lips or cheeks, and they may use any of several ingredients.
Juvederm Volbella, Voluma and Vollure
Juvederm has created three injectable dermal fillers made from hyaluronic acid, a sugar that naturally occurs in the body. The key to differentiating between the three fillers involves understanding both the unique properties of each gel, and knowing which gel is ideal for a given cosmetic procedure.
- Volbella gel is the most thin and spreadable of Juvederm’s dermal filler gels, lasting for about a year. This gel is able to make your lips feel soft, easily able to spread and fill fine lip lines, and smooth the delicate areas under the eyes.
- Vollure is not as thick as Voluma, but thicker than Volbella. It is excellent for smoothing the nasolabial folds (commonly called laugh lines or smile lines), and may last a year and a half.
- Voluma is a thicker and stronger gel that’s perfect for adding volume to the cheeks, and may last for about two years.
Sculptra dermal filler injections contain a synthetic substance called poly-L-lactic acid, which stimulates the body’s natural production of collagen. It is used to treat nasolabial folds and other wrinkles, and usually lasts for about 2 years.
Juvéderm®, is one of the most recent hyaluronic acid fillers approved by the FDA. This treatment helps to fill aging lines and wrinkles, enhances the lip border, size, and shape of the lips, and minimizes the appearance of some acne and surgical scars.
What does Juvéderm® accomplish?
Juvéderm® temporarily adds volume to facial tissue and restores a smoother appearance to the face.
This treatment is used to enhance and improve the following:
- Lip borders, vertical lip lines and wrinkles
- Superficial forehead lines and crow’s feet
- Thinning lips
- Deep folds on the sides of the mouth – nasolabial folds
- Marionette lines and Jaw Area to fill and contour Cheekbone area
- Earlobes for thin or sagging skin
Is there more than one Juvéderm® treatment?
Juvéderm® offers two treatments to choose from. This provides the advantage of having treatment choices for everything from modest lines around the mouth to more prominent wrinkles and lip augmentation.
How many treatments are necessary?
Most patients need one treatment to achieve optimal wrinkle smoothing. Just one treatment could smooth your lines and wrinkles for up to 1 year.